Health & Social Services
The Health and Social Services Committee responds to health and social services concerns from the Glebe community and draws issues to the attention of the GCA. The Health and Social Services Committee also represents the GCA on health and social services issues with other organizations.
This year the committee continued to develop ties with community partners. The committee activities included:
- advocating on potential health, safety and quality of life concerns related to the redevelopment of Lansdowne Park;
- sitting as a member of the City's Health and Social Services Advisory Committee (HSSAC);
- sitting on the Advocacy and Communications Action Team of Centretown Community Health Centre to communicate health and social services concerns of the Glebe, to promote healthy, liveable communities, and to engage in broader health and social services issues and policies at the federal, provincial and municipal levels;
- contributing to the January 2011 "health and wellness" issue of The Glebe Report, with the article, "Empowering Yourself to Live Well with Chronic Illness;
- meeting with community partners to identify interest in co-sponsoring delivery of the "Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions" program of Living Healthy Champlain;
- representing the GCA at the quarterly Central - West Community Safety meetings hosted by our Community Policing officer, Constable Khoa Hoang;
- engaging representatives of the City and meeting with community members in an initiative to improve safety and security in Central Park.
If you are interested in joining the committee to identify and act on health and social services issues, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org