The 1900's Timeline
Events occurring between 1900 and 1909
- 1900 Buffalo Bill Wild West Show returns to the Glebe.
- 1900 April 26, The Great Fire of Ottawa destroyed Lebreton Flats,
Lansdowne Park used to house those made homeless by the fire.
- 1902 Lansdowne Park extended north to Holmwood.
- 1902 Narrow gage railway moves sandy soil (from current site of Glebe Collegiate)
to fill low land between Second and Third Avenues to allow for home building.
- 1902 Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club moves to the south side of Patterson between
Metcalfe and the Driveway.
- 1903 Ottawa Silver Seven wins Stanley Cup in Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne.
- 1904 Brick Fourth Avenue Baptist Church built at the corner of Bank and Fourth to
replace wooden structure.
- 1904 The Driveway completed to the Experimental Farm from Cartier Square.
- 1906 Secretary to governor general builds home at 126-128 Fourth.
- 1906 May, Glebe Presbyterian Church opens at First and Lyon, built by J.W.H.Watts.
- 1906 304-312 The Driveway built in Victorian style.
- 1907 Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club moves to west side of Lyon between
Third and Fourth Avenues.
- 1909 (? Or 1912) Mutchmor renamed Fifth Avenue.
Events occurring between 1910 and 1919
- 1910 Wooden church at 91 Fourth is clad in brick and becomes Zion Congregational Church.
- 1911 Mutchmor expands north towards Fourth Avenue and becomes a 12 room school.
- 1912 Permanent Bank Street Bridge built over the canal by Newton J. Ker.
- 1912 W.E. Noffke builds his first Glebe design at 86 Ralph - the Baker House.
- 1913 Recession.
- 1913 Bell Telephone builds exchange at 200 First Avenue west of Bank
(now the Embassy of Trinidad and Tobago).
- 1913 W.E. Noffke bulds 12 Allan Place for Ernest C. Powell, brother of W.E. Powell,
the developer of Patterson Creek.
- 1913 Noffke builds 20 Clemow for himself.
- 1913 Noffke builds 85 Glebe Avenue for W.F. Powell.
- 1913 Noffke builds 515 O'Connor, corner Monkland, for Austin E. Blount,
Sir Robert Borden's private secretary.
- 1913 Noffke builds 517 O'Connor, corner Linden Terrace, for G. Frederick Hodgins.
- 1914 Presbyterian (later Ottawa) Ladies College built at Lyon and First.
- 1914 Horticultural Building built at Lansdowne Park by Francis C. Sullivan after the
Prairie School style.
- 1914-18 Lansdowne Park used by army as training and marshalling area for
soldiers bound overseas during World War I.
- 1915 Noffke builds 11 Clemow for Benson C. Beach, president of the Beach Foundry.
- 1915 Prince Rupert Apartments, 585 O'Connor built.
- 1915 Noffke builds 1 Clemow for Francis X. Plaunt, a railway tie contractor.
- 1919 (fall) site of Glebe Collegiate Purchased for $37,500 plus tax and interest.
Events occurring between 1920 and 1929
- 1920 Mutchmor expands to a 20 room school with 900 students.
- 1921 July 2, Block 422 purchased for Glebe Collegiate playing field for $34,500.
- 1922 September, Glebe Collegiate opens on Percy Street.
- 1922 Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club moves to Ottawa South, sells land to the
Ottawa Roman Catholic Separate School Board.
- 1923 Noffke builds 18 Clemow for Ethel Chamberlain.
- 1924 St Paul's Methodist Church finished at Lyon and Second.
- 1925 St. Paul's Methodist becomes St. James United on entering church union.
- 1926 Noffke builds 26 Clemow for Levi W. Crannell.
- 1926 Corpus Christi Separate School built on Lyon at Fourth.
- 1927 Capital Ward became identical with district defined as the Glebe.
- 1928 Ambassador Court at 672 Bank, north of Central Park, built by W.e. Noffke for
developer David Epstein.
- 1928 Avalon Theatre built at north west corner of Bank and Second, first theatre
in Ottawa to show sound films.
- 1929 May, St. Giles Presbyterian Church opens at north east corner of Bank and First.
- 1929 High School of Commerce opens at west end of Glebe Collegiate.
Events occurring between 1930 and 1939
- 1930's Booth subdivides Fraserfield lumber yard, names streets after family and his
- 1931 Only 298 vacant lots in the Glebe.
Events occurring between 1940 and 1949
- 1941 Only 152 vacant lots in the Glebe.
- 1942 Ottawa Ladies College expropriated for war effort, serves as the Glebe Barracks
for the Canadian Woman's Army Corps.
- 1942 Carleton College begins as evening classes at the old High School of Commerce
(west part of Glebe Collegiate).
- 1945 Population of the Glebe 15,507.
- 1947 September, Carleton College opens in old site of Ottawa Ladies College on First at Lyon.
Events occurring between 1950 and 1959
- 1951 Glebe population is 13,175, as Capital Ward re-expands into Ottawa South.
- 1956 Avalon Theatre, remodeled and named The Glebe Theatre, closes.
- 1957 Church hall built at St. Giles Presbyterian on First.
- 1958 Southern addition built to Corpus Christi on Lyon.
- 1959 Carleton becomes a University (Act of 1957)and moves to Rideau Campus.
- 1959 Church hall built at Glebe United Church on Lyon.
Events occurring between 1960 and 1969
- 1965 The Queensway opens on the old CNR right-of-way, setting the north boundary of The Glebe.
- 1966 Final addition to Corpus Christie school built.
- 1966 Final addition to Corpus Christie school built.
- 1967 Civic Centre is built and north stands at Lansdowne extended.
- 1969 The Society of Friends takes over Church of the Nazarene at 91 Fourth east of Bank,
Formerly Zion Congregational.
Events occurring between 1970 and 1979
- 1971 Glebe United and St. James United merge to become Glebe-St. James United.
- 1974 The 12 story extension of Abottsford House is built on Holmwood at Bank.
- 1974 William Teron builds 300 The Driveway, at Patterson Creek.
- 1974 August, Ontario Municipal Board approved a down-zoning of several blocks
between Patterson Creek and Fifth Avenue to prevent further high rise construction.
- 1975 Population of Glebe falls to 12,146.
Events occurring between 1980 and 1989
- 1986 97% of Glebe residents of British origin.
- 1988 Population of the Glebe falls to 10,628 as boarding houses and triplexes are
converted back into single family homes.